Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Obedience

Do you ever have those things that you feel God is telling you to do and you ignore Him?

Does He hits you in the back of the head with it later?


Recently that happened to me. You know what I learned? Obedience is what God requires of us. 

John 14:15-17 says:

“If you love me, you will keep my commandments. And I will ask the Father, and he will give you another Helper, to be with you forever, even the Spirit of truth, whom the world cannot receive, because it neither sees him nor knows him. You know him, for he dwells with you and will be in you."


If we love God, we will keep His commandments. We will listen to Him and obey what he commands us to do. But God does not leave us high and dry to accomplish this on our own... No, He provides a Helper: the Holy Spirit. And this is honestly the only way that I think I can survive and remain sane: knowing that the Spirit lives inside me and guides me along the way. 

Earlier this year, my roommate Taylor told me I should apply to LeaderTreks for the summer internship. I had no intention of doing that, because this internship is unpaid and you have to raise support. I was not going to have any of that nonsense. This internship is a ministry/missions experience, and I'm a business major. This internship requires me to be out of my comfort zone and will be really hard (also really rewarding). Well, I looked into other internships in the business field, you know so I could gain experience related to my major... and so far nothing has worked out with that. Coincidence? I think not. Not when basically everyone else knows what they're doing this summer and I'm still clueless.


So, last week I applied just for kicks. I had this voice in the back of my head saying, "Hey Kristen, you should just apply for this. Don't worry about it, don't think too hard. Just do it." So I did. And I'm still in the applying process, so far "they" have talked to a few of my references and I'm supposed to talk to one of the directors by the end of this week. I'll have about a month to raise almost $2,000 and I will have no idea where I'll be placed, or even if I'll be in the country. So that's exciting! And really scary! But you know, this is what trusting God looks like. A lot of the times He doesn't let you in on His plans. So, if this all works out, I will have to trust God to provide the necessary funds and the strength to get through 8 weeks of leading youth mission trips in an unknown place.


Pray for me! I'll update and share what happens with all this. 


No comments:

Post a Comment