Sunday, June 9, 2013

Verse for Summer

Today I decided that Deuteronomy 13:4 is my verse for this summer. It has literally been on my desktop for 6 months now, but today is when it finally sunk in and I realized that this is what I want my life to look like, and is a good reminder especially in this context of this summer.

The ESV says this:

"You shall walk after the LORD your God and fear him and keep his commandments and obey his voice and you shall serve him and hold fast to him."

What does this look like for me?

You shall walk after the LORD your God: This is reassuring to me because I always know that God is walking in front of me leading the way. He has prepared the way for me and my most important task in life is to be right there following where he leads me.

Fear him: God deserves my worship and 100% of my devotion. No one else is worthy of worship and nothing (no idols) should come before him. I know that following him has the best eternal reward and not following him has the worst eternal consequences.

Keep his commandments: The Bible is his true word and what God commands of me I need to be obedient to. My life is about obeying what he has already laid out for me and his desire for his followers.

Obey his voice: While the Bible is an ancient text that is solid and unchanging that I should follow, God's voice is not always present to me and God's individual requirements of me are fluid. This part of the verse reminds me to listen. I need to hear his voice before I can obey it, and therefore I need to be aware and be listening for God, even for the smallest whisper. Most of the time God's voice isn't evident where I'd like it to be or expect it to be. I have to be diligent in listening to his voice.

Serve him: This summer I have a very distinct role to fulfill in LeaderTreks and I know that I can serve God the best this summer by being selfless and trusting Him and giving my all to these students that I'm working with. In all things God's glory needs to be revealed and I can best serve him by being a clear avenue of his glory to the students I'm working with.

Hold fast to him: This may be my favorite part of the verse because I know that God is my comfort and my strength and he is unchanging and reliable and I can hold on to him for dear life. He has the control and I can rely on him no matter what.

No comments:

Post a Comment