Thursday, June 20, 2013

First post from Honduras!

Yesterday we had to leave Wheaton at 3am to make it to our 5:22am flight to Houston. We changed planes in Houston and arrived in San Pedro Sula, Honduras at around 10:35am. The flight was super smooth, all of our luggage arrived at the same time as us, and we made it through immigration and customs with no problems, PTL. Then we met Douglas our Honduran host who works at La Providencia. He drove us the 2.5 hour drive to Siguatepeque and then 20 minutes out of the city to La Providencia where we are staying. We allowed Douglas to choose where we ate lunch and he took us to the only authentic Honduran fast food restaurant in Honduras, "Power Chicken." It was a lot better than you would initially think. He ordered tostones (fried bananas), fried yucas, fried rice, chicken and ribs. It was all DELICIOUS, seriously the best chicken I think I've ever had. So glad that we went authentic Honduran for our first meal!

Once we arrived at La Providencia we got a small tour of the medical clinic where our rooms are and where the teams will also be staying. The compound here is really nice. There's a community center where the school and dining hall are along with two family homes that the orphans live in with their house parents. We went into town to do some grocery shopping for the next few days at this pretty Americanized store in town. Then we were in the mood for a treat, so Douglas took us to Espresso Americano which is like Honduran Starbucks and we had a Mocaccino Supreme. It's a blended coffee drink with Oreos and I think I'm in love. Coffee seriously is the way to my heart. Afterward we came back and decided to do some exploring so we checked out the school building that last summer's LeaderTreks team built. I think that this year we will be working on either adding to it or another building right next door based on what I could see at the construction site. Then we passed by one of the families playing outside and they called us over to play, so we got to meet all of them. The parents have two biological sons and then they also take care of 2 other girls and 3 other boys. So there are 7 kids in their family. One of the little girls immediately took a liking to me and we climbed up the playground and went down the slide like a million times until I got to hold the baby. They were such a sweet family and I'm looking forward to seeing them around for the next six weeks.


It's weird to think that we'll be living here for such a long time. It hasn't really set in yet that this is going to be my home for awhile. I can't really say that any of this has been a real culture shock, honestly it looks a LOT like Nicaragua and I also adapt really well to new places, so the first day has not been too hard. I've already had to break out my Spanish a little and I'm hoping that it improves a lot this summer. I can see God's hand at work here and I'm excited to be a part of what he does here in Honduras this summer. 

No comments:

Post a Comment