I spent some time tonight researching Honduras, you know, so I'm somewhat prepared to enter a foreign country. Here are some interesting facts about where I'll spend 6 weeks of my summer!
1. Honduras is roughly the same size as the state of Ohio.
2. Honduras is the most mountainous country in Central America and 50% of it is still covered in forests :)
3. Yet surprisingly, there are no active volcanoes.
4. They eat a LOT of rice and beans.
5. Honduras literally means "depths" in Spanish
6. 1 US Dollar = 20.14 Honduran Lempira
7. La Providencia is the name of the orphanage I'll be working with and staying at
8. Hondurans love their soccer so much that even the President "recommends" that businesses give their employees time off for the games.
9. Honduras is the 7th largest coffee producer in the world, and the largest coffee producer in Central America
10. In July (the month I'll mostly be there) the area I'll be in has average daily high temperatures of around 87 degrees and low temperatures of around 69 degrees.